This is a Romanian traditional roasted Eggplant Salad recipe that we make at all occasions. The best way to serve it is to have fresh warm soft bread otherwise it is not the same.
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 6 eggplants,grilled and chopped
- 1 small white onion
- sunflower, vegetable or canola oil
- sea salt
- lemon juice
- Start by making the mayonnaise. With a mixer, beat the egg yolks, on low speed, add the mustard and add a little bit of oil. You can increase the mixer speed now. Add sunflower oil in small quantities and stir until well mixed. Repeat the process until it has a thicker consistency. You can stop adding oil when you have 1/3 mayonnaise of the eggplant quantity. Add the lemon juice.
- Cook the eggplants on a grill or in the oven. The best is to cook them directly on a flame. You can do this on a gas stove or on a wood fire. Put them in a sieve to cool down.
- Chop the eggplants really well and put them into a big bowl. Add the mayonnaise and mix them well, until you get a smooth paste. Grate the onion and add it to the salad. Season with salt and mix well.
- The Eggplant Salad is ready to be served on fresh bread slices.