When I fist made Onion Soup I was amazed of all the flavors going on.If you try and combine the types of onions it will give it so much flavor . The melted cheese is my weakness and maybe that is what made me fall more for this soup.
You can serve the delicious Onion Soup with sliced baguettes or bread that you cook separately in the oven or you can ladle the soup into bowls, top each with 2 slices of bread and top with cheese, then put them into the oven to toast the bread and melt the cheese.
Ingredients 4, 6 servings:
- about 900 g of different types of onions, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- one slice of shredded celery
- a good knob of butter
- 2 fresh thyme springs
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 hot pepper
- 200 g cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 1 baguette, sliced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 litter of stock
- Put the butter and about 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a pot, let them cook for about 15 minutes at low heat. Stir from time to time.
- Add the thyme and bay leaves. Cook until the onion become golden brown.
- Add the celery. This will give a really good taste to the soup. Add about 8 cups of hot stock and let them simmer at low heat for 20 minutes.
When the soup is done, season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven at 300 F and set it for the ventilation setting. Take out the oven rack before that.
- Place the slices of bread on the rack, sprinkle with olive oil and add cheese on top. Leave them in the oven until cheese is melted.
- The onion soup can be served hot, with some hot pepper if you like and a few drops of lemon juice and the baguettes on top.