This is the easiest way to make soups that need a lot of time cooking. This Pressure Cooker Bean Soup is the best I tasted so far, I don`t even soak the beans before, and they still cook perfectly. Using the pressure cooker you only use the heat until the pressure goes to setting 2, and that takes 5 to 10 min., you turn off the heat and when the setting 2 goes down to setting 1 turn the heat on letting the pressure from inside to rise again to setting 2. After 40 min the beans are really soft and the meat comes off the bone easily.
- 2 hands of dry red beans
- 1 / 2 smoked pig leg
- 2 carrots (not too large)
- 1 parsley root
- 1 bundle of parsley
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic
- green onion for serving
- 200 ml cream
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1, 2 tablespoons sea salt, to the taste
- a lot of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Wash the pork feet under running water and then put it in the pressure cooker. Rinse the beans and add them to the pot. Peel the carrots and the parsley root ant cut them into even slices. Peel the onion but don’t cut it (if you don’t cut the top of the onion, it is easier to take it out of the soup after it is cooked). Add the bay leaves to the pot. Put 1, 2 tablespoons of salt, depending on how salty the smoked pork feet is.
- Add hot water to the maximum limit of the cooker. Mine has 4,5 litter, if you use a bigger one, you can put the same quantity of water over the ingredients.
- Put the cooker on maximum heat until the pressure goes to setting 2, that takes 5 to 10 min., then you can reduce the heat or you can even turn it off. Only turn the heat on when the setting 2 goes down to 1. After 40 min the beans are really soft and the meat comes off the bone easily.
- When ready, remove the pot from heat and place it under running cold water, so the pressure comes out from the pot, if you listen it makes a popping sound when is safe to open. Taste the beans and if they are hard in places, then put the pressure cooker back to cook some more, of course with the lid on.
- After the cooking time is done, and the pressure cooker is safe to open, take out the meat and put it on a separate plate and remove the rind and the bone. Then take the out the onion add the chopped garlic clove, then add freshly ground black pepper, dried basil and marjoram and the lemon juice, taste and add more salt or lemon juice if needed.
- Put the cream in the dish in which you’ll serve the soup from and using a spoon add a little soup. Mixing until they are blended. Then add another spoon of soup and whisk continuously, repeat the process with all the remaining soup.
- Place the finely cut parsley in a bowl so that everyone can add it to their soup.Serve the Pressure Cooker Bean Soup while it is still hot with fresh or toasted bread.
TIP: If you freeze the remaining parsley immediately after you served the soup, it will be good to used for another dish.