These Romanian style Donuts or “Gogosi” as we call them, are a very popular dessert in Romania. My mom used to make these very often when I was a child. It is not the original recipe, usually you use some butter to make them fluffy but this one has a lot of cream cheese( i like to use Philadelphian cream cheese) and that will make them very moist. The american donuts are made by rolling the dough and then cutting them round but these ones are made by rolling a long rod from which you are forming a circle .Or you can even do knot shaped ones, they are all just as good. The best way is to serve them with buttermilk.
- 700 g white flour
- 120 g white sugar
- 250 g Philadelphia cream cheese
- 14 g dry yeast
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml warm milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 14 g vanilla sugar or vanilla extract
- zest from one lemon
- oil for frying
- powdered sugar
Romanian style Donuts
- In a medium bowl, mix these ingredients: warm milk, eggs, oil, vanilla sugar, vanilla sugar, philadelphia cream cheese, lemon zest, yeast, flour and salt.
- Transfer the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead it for 15 minutes or until it feels smooth. Oil your hands when doing this, the dough will be very sticky. Then cover it with a kitchen towel or plastic foil and leave to rise for 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into small pieces, and using your hands, roll the dough until you get a 15 cm long rod. Form a circle , then you unite the ends pressing them with your fingers.
- Add oil to a large pan ,place it on medium heat and fry the donuts on both sides until they are golden brown.
- Then place them on a paper towel to get rid of the extra oil,and sprinkle the Romanian style Donuts with some powdered sugar. Serve them with a cup of milk or buttermilk .