This Swedish Apple Cake is the dessert you can prepare easily with ingredients that you always have in your kitchen. It is delicious and moist and it will make you want to make it again and again.
- 4 apples
- 12 tablespoons of sugar
- 6 tablespoons of flour
- 1 pinch of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 eggs
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- Whip the egg whites. Beat them on high and let them whip until they become frothy. Add 6 tablespoons of sugar, a bit at a time and mix until the sugar has dissolved.
- Mix the egg yolks with a mixer on a high speed until it becomes creamy, then add the remaining sugar ( 6 tablespoons), a tablespoon at a time. Mix until the sugar has completely dissolved and the mixture becomes thicker.
- Combine yolk and whites and fold them in with a big wood spatula, make sure not to over-mix. Add those 6 tablespoons of flour, a bit at a time, mixing really slow.
- The baking powder needs to be combined with lemon juice, so add a few drops of lemon juice to it, then add it to the mixture.
- Clean and cut the apples into slices. Add them to a hot skillet, add a tablespoon of butter and 3 or 4 tablespoons of sugar, mixing from time to time. Let the apple cook until they soften a little and become golden brown.
- In a baking pan (with approximately 7 inches in diameter) place some waxed paper and add the apples. Then pour the baking mixture on top of them.
- Introduce the pan in the preheat oven at 350 F and let it bake for about 30 minutes. Test the cake by inserting a clean toothpick into the middle of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Place a big plate over the pan and turn it upside down. Then remove the waxed paper, squeeze a little bit of lemon juice over the cake and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- This Swedish Apple Cake can be served just as it is or with vanilla custard.