This is a delicious healthy Vegan Chocolate Cake with natural sugar, filled with berries and covered in chocolate.
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 10 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cups natural sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 200 g white flour
- 1/2 tablespoon cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- finely grated zest from 1 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 300 g berries, fresh or frozen
- 200 ml vegetable whipped cream
- 3 tablespoons natural sugar
- 200 g of chocolate, 60% cocoa
Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Preheat the oven to 160 C and prepare a pan of 18-20 cm, slightly smaller than the classic ring.
- In a small bowl, mix the flax seeds with water and set aside.
- In a pot, heat the coconut oil, natural sugar and honey. Stir occasionally, until melted and set aside to cool.
- When it`s cool, put the flax seeds in the composition above.
- Separately, mix the flour with baking powder, cinnamon, cocoa, salt and orange zest.
- Mix the two compositions, (the flour mixture with the liquid) Do not mix too much, just until all the flour is absorbed. Then pour it in the cake pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Do not over cook it, even if you think that it is not baked enough. Check it with a toothpick to see if it’s done.
- Allow it to cool on a rack. Then cut the cake into 3 equal parts.
- For the filling: Using a blender, blend 100 g of berries, until they’re creamy. Then beat the cream until it is thick. Mix with the fruit paste and add the other 200 g whole berries. Add natural sugar (to taste), about 3 tablespoons, depending on how sweet your fruits are.
- Melt the chocolate on a steam bath. Once melted, take one tablespoon of chocolate and make chocolate lines ,on a parchment paper. You will use these to decorate the cake
- To assemble the cake, put on a plate the first layer of the cake then spread a layer of cream, repeat the process until you have filled the 3 layers.
- Pour chocolate over the last layer. Allow it to harden and then make the cake decorations. Until now the melted chocolate has changed consistency, being thicker, exactly what we need. Brush with chocolate all around the upper side of the last layer, and then pin on the sides the lines of chocolate, pressing them lightly with your fingers so they can stick to the cake.
- Before you serve the Vegan Chocolate Cake, leave it at least 30 minutes at room temperature .Cut it using a hot knife ( place it in hot water) so you can cut the layer of chocolate without breaking it.